Spring Garden School
The Lural Lee Belvins Veterans Center was rehabilitated by HELP USA. In 1928, the building was originally constructed as the Spring Garden School No. 1 during Philadelphia’s prolific Progressive Era school development phase. The school closed its doors in the 1970s and remained vacant for several decades, experiencing significant deterioration. Until its recent rehabilitation, the Spring Garden School had become a target for graffiti tagging and vandalism and was a nuisance to the surrounding neighborhood.
HELP USA transformed the Spring Garden School’s classrooms into affordable housing units with preference for veterans restoring the building’s prominent standing within the community.
Photos courtesy of HELP USA