Coffelt-Lamoreaux National Register Historic District
The Housing Authority of Maricopa County and Gorman & Company, Inc. listed the Coffelt-Lamoreaux in Phoenix, Arizona in the National Register of Historic Places. The district is located southwest of downtown Phoenix and consists of 150 duplexes spread over nearly 38 acres. Opened in 1954, Coffelt-Lamoreaux was the first and largest physical manifestation of the Housing Authority of Maricopa County’s assumption of the responsibility to provide affordable housing to its residents. Designed by Phoenix’s premier architects, Lescher and Mahoney, the homes adapted the form of the Bungalow and are organized in rows designed to accommodate automobile access. The district also features extensive landscaping intended to maximize shade while creating outdoor rooms. Coffelt-Lamoreaux’s design advances community and family values by creating an uplifting environment. Heritage is proud to be working with the Housing Authority of Maricopa County and Gorman & Company, Inc. to breathe new life into the Coffelt-Lamoreaux community, using a combination of the historic tax credit (HTC) and rental assistance demonstration (RAD) programs.