Macy’s Herald Square
Macy’s flagship store in the heart of midtown Manhattan was built in 1901 and was the largest department store in the world at the time of its construction. The original architects were DeLemos & Cordes. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places and became a National Historic Landmark in 1978.
Heritage served as the historic consultant for the first major rehabilitation of the store which day-lighted long-closed windows and entrances and brought back original design elements that had been covered over the decades. The project also consisted of a full building systems upgrade while preserving character-defining features such as the wooden escalators.
- Federal Historic Tax Credits